Sunday, October 08, 2006

Why I Sail...

Sailing has been my life of my great grand father, my grand father, my father, and me. Its my life and I hope it continous to be my life until I get really old.

To know how all started I had to first set an investigation of my great grand father, my grand father, and my father.

All started with my great grand father, he was born in 1909, and sadly died in 1998, he was nick named ”Lito” , during the 30’s he bought a big sailing boat like about 39 to 40 feet long, It was specially made to race with really strong winds, for it to move it needed winds stronger than five kilometers per hour, only to move , in english it was named “The Great”, it participated in many international tournaments, that took place here in Cartagena, Colombia. It won five of twelve tournaments, “The Great” had fame all over the world during those times. When my great grand father went a bit too old for sailing”The Great”, he passed this boat to my grand father, he continued to participate in the tournaments, he took really good care of the boat. In one of the tournaments, “The Great ”, was in the 6th position, hurryng to get to first, awfully it crushed with the 5th boat, leaving a big hole, that was imposible to repair ,that hole send the boat to the “trash” ,leaving good moments away. My grand father after this tragical moment was left with nothing but his life ahead but nothing else.

When my dad was born there was no “The Great” , so at the age of 16 he started to sail a different boat called sunfish wich is a boat that is around 12 to 14 feet long. My dad went really good at this, and participated in tournaments. The most importants were the nationals wich he went to 16 of them, his best position was a 1st, another tournament were the world wide tournaments, he only went to 6 of them, his best position was a 17th of 134 boats to compeit with, he was known around the world because of his fight to win tournaments. All of this happiness and popularity, finished when he joined the army, now he is working for them. He is 44 right now, he is still sailing but not compeiting.

Now it was my turn, I was born in September, 13 ,1994, but until 5 or 6 month I started to sail, a different kind of boat, the Optimist, this great idea came to my grand father when he saw that my dad was not compeiting, so he told me to start to sail, so I stated to sail. I don’t have anything great to say about my little sailing life I got. I have participated in only one tournament wich was an international one, I won 1st place amateur, 8th place general, off course I was really happy with those results in my first tournament, also my ranking in Bolivar, Colombia, for optimist, is 2nd place, and amateur in Colombia, I am # 1 .

Why do I sail? Well, because it has passed through my family , this tradition has been the gratest, and also because sailing is in my blood! I hope to sail until I died, and pass this history to my children and then they to theirs and so on…

(The first Photograph is something like “The Great”, The second is a Sunfish boat, and the third one is a optimist).

5 comments:

Arnold P said...

Very cool your post. It is a very fun subject. It is very interesting. Keep it up.

Pau I said...

Hi Augusto! Your post is very good because it tells all the story of your family and sailing. You must be a great sailer to be #2 in Bolivar! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Hi. I'm Derek, from Mr.Fisher's class. I think it's cool that you love sailing and that it has been past down generation after generation in your family. I hope you do well in other tournaments.

SebastianB said...

hi Agusto,
I liked reading your post it was ineresting. I liked your sentense "sailing is in my blood" I think you are a good sailer. I hope you do well in future tournaments and reach your goals. It seemed you do your best on sailing.
Great post, it seemed you put a lot of effort on it!!

La_Colombianita said...

You move me. It is a great story keep it up...
REALLY